June 29, 2013

Shakespearean Subject Pratt Pot Lid

Shakespearean Subject Pratt Pot Lid
Shottery,
the residence of Anne Hathaway, Shakespeare's wife.
This group of pot lids covers the various buildings associated with Shakespeare at Stratford-on-Avon.

These lids were produced by the Pratt Factory in the late 1850s and very early 1860s. 

This particular pot lid was given to my Aunt Lily by her mother, my grandmother and then to me. It would have belonged to my great-great grandmother in Ramsgate England.

It is still in its original round black frame.

These were lids from fish jars, and often saved by women as decorative art pieces. I own four that once belonged to my great grandmother and/or her mother. Another Aunt owns two more from the same household.

It has a leaf and scroll border (others with the same picture have a pearl dot border or gold lines) and was valued at $300.00-$500.00 in 2003

No comments: