May 25, 2005

Antique Watsons Tin in Barrie Ontario

Watsons Cough Drops Tin
Watsons Cough Drops Tin,
originally uploaded by Lorine.
Yesterday Brian and I visited a new-found antique mall in Barrie Ontario at 272 Innisfil St. We were impressed from the moment we walked in the front door. You know how sometimes you can just get that feeling and you know you're gonna make a great find? The atmosphere was perfect for what Brian and I like, especially for me.

I love the old country store feel - advertising signs, scales, old tins. We both love those neat Victorian architechtural details and that was there too, as well as stained glass, another fav. The owners were friendly and helpful, although when asked what we were looking for, I of course replied "Everything!" How to explain our eclectic and numerous collections is always difficult for us.

My great find that day was a very nice Watson's Imperial Cough Drops tin in green. It's about 6 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 5 and the graphics are in pretty good condition. I knew it would look great in my display of antique medicine bottles and cans as well as antique shaving mugs which I have in our main bathroom. I've put up a photo of it so you can see what I'm doing there.

The cabinet they are in is a find in itself, it was covered in layers of crummy paint, one of those 'aha' discoveries you make now and then. I bought it, brought it home, Brian spent hours stripping it and it's as gorgeous as I thought it would be - the light coloured oak displays the treasures well. Brian still hasn't finished the door (I am replacing the mirror with glass so my items show) and the top fancy bit but I have it up anyway.

We will be going back to this Barrie Antique Mall this week to continue looking as our time was limited yesterday. I'll let you know if I buy anything else! There was a very nice Keen's Mustard Tin that caught my eye....

No comments: